Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The yarn store was having a big 25% off sale last weekend so I went and stocked up a little. I got some really nice varigated, hand dyed, Chilean wool in a deep forest green for my Knitting Olypics project. I'm thinking about trying to do this Celtic knot on the bum. Yikes! It should be fun, though. This is the fanciest yarn I've bought in a long time. It's not even a center pull, I'm going to have to ball it. Gasp!

I also made some monkey shorts for my Hyena Cart stocking in a few weeks. I'm psyched. There are pictures down there somewhere. Scroll, baby. I am now working on a "MOM" banner in a heart tattoo design that I wish I had done early enough for Valentine's Day, but I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Today was co-op at Kim's house so I had time to do fun stuff this morning. By fun stuff, I mean going to the DMV and then studying math. Coming from MI, land of the auto industry and lack of clean air initiatives, it completey slipped our minds that we were supposed to get our emissions tested until we got a big fat fine in the mail. Oops. I had to run to an emissions station super early this morning and get it done and then bring proof to the DMV and pay the fine lest they gank our licenses. It was painful, but I can assure you that it won't lapse again. It has moved from Kyle's job (everything car related is technically supposed to fall in the "Kyle" category) to my job (everything that keeps us from paying fines and fees and getting bills taken care of has fallen into the "Amy" category by default) for next year. The good news is that Turbo Tax is getting the updated Education Credit Form tomorrow, so we can file then and hopefully get our check in the next few weeks or so.

Anyway, so sfter my AWESOME time spent at the DMV (I brought my knitting not realizing that they don't have a waiting area and numbers, they make you stand in a line) I went to the bookstore with my brand spakin' new $8 off half.com GRE study book to make another attempt at basic math. Somewhere in the middle of the first hour I had a breakthrough. I started getting things right, and when I got things wrong, I read the explanation and it actually made. sense. I ahve discovered that my biggest problem is losing sight of what the question is actually asking. I think I need to read the problem and actually write down what answer they are looking for (area, volume, x, etc.) next to my work space. I feel like I was actually productive today, which is pretty dern exciting. The past few times I've tried to study math I just ended up alternately staring blankly at the book and getting impossibly frustrated with the whole business. Yay me! I'm going to kick this test's raggedy ass, dammit!

In other ass kicking news, we won trivia last night. My sole contributions were "what speed came before 33 RPM records?" (78s), "What movie starred Julianne Moore and HUgh Grant as expecting parents?" (9 Months) and "What rock band has a frontman named Rivers Cuomo?" (Weezer). Oh, and the speed round, in which I correctly identified pictures of Lionel Ritchie, Kofi Annin, Georgia O'Keefe, Jake Gyllanhall, a kiwi and a Van Gogh painting. But so did everyone else. Ah well. We still won. Yay for free drinks!

Yesterday at Target I made an impulse buy of a bag of those caramels with the creme in the center. Bullseyes? I got them home and discovered 1) they are so gross that even Henry won't eat them and 2) their grossness does not seem to stop me from eating the entire bag. Yuck.

I should be kntiting right now, but it is as cold as a witch's hooha in here and I feel like taking a shower just to shake this chill. Brrrrrrrr...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home