Wednesday, February 22, 2006

So I had yesterday afternoon all planned out. Henry and I would pick up Kyle from work and then we would go pick up the new bed, which would slide effortlessly into the back of the van. We would then go to Babies R Us where we would pick out brand new sheets and a guard rail for the new bed. We would then go find a mattress. After all this was done, it would be dinner time, so we would go to The Mellow Mushroom for pizza, since Tuesday is locals get 25% off night. We would take all of Henry's new big boy sleeping gear home and set it up (once again, effortlessly) and tuck him in to bed, singing traa la la all the while.

Here's what really happened:

I picked up Kyle from work and we went to pick up the new bed. We quickly discovered that it would need to be taken apart in order to fit it into the van. The people at the store quickly dispatched two 98 year old men to help us with the task of taking it all apart and loading it into the car. It took about a half an hour. I feel lucky that neither of them had a heart attack and lived their last moments on Henry's new bed. When I filled Kyle in on the next step of the plan-Babies R Us- he informed me of HIS plan. Instead of the cute baby store, we were en route to Lowe's where we would get a pice of wood to fashion a guard rail (WHAT?) and some paint to paint the new bed blue. Okay. Blue would be cute. I wasn't so sure about the hillbilly guard rail, though. After another 45 minutes chasing Henry around that evil place, I was in a horrid mood and ready to just get home. I managed to talk Kyle out of the wooden guard rail idea, but he wasn't happy about it. We got home and realized that it was almost dark. I watched the bean and made some fairly decent chicken quesadillas for dinner while Kyle rushed a priming job, trying to beat the sunset. He finished in the dark. I broached the subject of a mattress pad for when Henry starts going without diapers at night. He suggested that instead of buying a mattress pad, we should just wrap the mattress in plastic. Again I say- WHAT? He didn't seem to think that Henry would mind sleeping on a plastic wrapped mattress that crinkled all over the place. But that is an argument I can save for a few months, since Henry currently seems to be on the "diapers in high school" track.

So. I decided to take Henry to Babies R Us this morning to see if I could find cute sheets. Yeah, they only have crib sheets there. I ended up chasing Henry around the store counting to 3 to try to get him to listen to me. I probably sounded like a maniac. We emerged into the sunlight an hour later with our massive and important purchases: 2 boxes of Sesame Street crackers and a Bob the Builder potty seat. Awesome.

On the way home, I remembered about this house I saw in the For Sale by Owner magazine the other day. I decided that I would drive by it while trying to get Henry to fall asleep in the car. I had called and gotten directions last week. It was prices at 127k, so I figured it would go pretty fast. I turned off Brevard and down a side street past all sorts of industrial parks. Not a gorgeous route to home, but I could live with it. The road the house was on looked like someone's driveway. If someone was coming the other way, I'm not quite sure what we would have done. A couple of trailers, again, not ideal, but in a town with no zoning, trailers are pretty much everywhere. A tiny shack with broken windown that looked to be full to the roof with crap. Umm...not really loving this street. A cute house! Oh, but it has one of those old school dark black skinned lawn jockies next to the mailbox. Kind of offensive, but maybe they aren't racist, just old and out of it. The end of the road. A For Sale by Owner sign. The house isn't bad, but there is a super old looking teensy red barn right next to it. I wonder if that is part of the deal. It has a tiny little loft with hay where chickens would go. This thing is small, slightly larger than the storage shed in the back of the house I grew up in, and lots of people keep chickens around here. I crane my neck to see if there are any chickens in there and...I shit you not...a donkey pokes its head out the barn door to see what's going on. A donkey. WTF??? As I decide to get the hell out of there before "Dueling Banjos" starts up, I realize I am sitting on this road, directly in front of a house, with no way to turn around and get out. I finally managed to back into a driveway about 50 ft. down and go home, Henry finally asleep in the backseat.

I spent the first part of Henry's nap painting the drawers and cross beams of his bed. I'm leaving the rest for Kyle to do when he gets home. I should be working on stocking my store, but I just don't feel like it.

OH! The yarn I bought yesterday! It is amazing. It is the softest yarn I have ever knit with in my life. I am loving it. Going back to teh other stuff is going to be painful. Wah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home