Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So I went to get a haircut on Saturday morning and Melissa (the friend who cut my hair in trade for babysitting her little darling) said "What happened to your head?". Not exactly what you want to hear when getting your hair cut, but I have knocked my head about 7,000 times getting a toy out from under the kitchen bar, so I figured she was talking about a bruise or something. Nope. She got me a mirror to take a look and there it was. A nickel sized bald spot. After I recovered from the immediate flash of Henry growing up motherless because of my newfound cancer of the hair follicles I decided to make a doctor appointment asap. Because letting my hot pediatrician (who is actually a family practice doc) look at my bald patch sounded way too appealing to pass up. Luckily, it isn't cancer of the hair foliicles or some strange head fungus (which was suggested by a healpful friend), but a fairly rare condition called alopecia areata. It is an autoimmune thing that can be triggered by stress that causes your autoimmune system to attack patches of hair and kill them. The hair has already started growing back, so I don't have to do anything about it. If I had noticed it before the hair started to grow back they would have given me weekly injectins of cortozone into my scalp for a month or so. Fun fun fun! So cross your fingers that it doesn't happen again because I would rather knit myself a cute hat than get scalp injections. I made the mistake of looking up alopecia areata online and there are some pretty scary cases out there. People with just little random tufts of hair left and everywhere else bald. I am so glad I ahve a super mild case. You can't even see it if you aren't looking for it and I am hoping it grows back fast. So there you go. Alopecia Areata-it's better than a head fungus. They should pay me to write promotional material, no?

I have solved "The Mystery of the Blue Cross Claims Denials" as well. Yesterday I received 3 claims denials for Henry, from a doctor who we have never seen. I finally got ahold of the office today and found out that they just took 6 months to bill his speech therapy consultation, and since they came to our house and did it, and they bill through a different doctor's name, there was no way I could know that is what the bill was for. That organization is ridiculous. They took so long after the consultation to get Henry an appointment with a speech therapist that he ahs already learned to talk by himself. And then they took so long to bill it to BCBS that I had no idea what the bill was for. Never mind that they told me the evaluation was free. Turns out they have to bill it anyway, and once the claim is denied they pay for it. I might have been a good idea to tell me that oh...a year ago.

I finally got ahold of someone at the NHS, so I might be back on track to get into the housing program sometime before Henry graduated high school. She said they had a couple of things closing up now, so there might actually be something available. w00t! Of course, then she said she'd call me back, so I may never hear from them again.

In biz news, I am still waiting for the batik mama to get my yarn samples so we can figure out what kinds of shirts to make to match my yummy shorts. Does anyone have amazing tshirt ideas? You should all go to her website and buy things. Super duper duper cute. I have doubled my traffic since putting up the HC and ahve been keeping pretty busy. This is a stocking week, but I have just finished the custom orders from the last stocking and am going away (home!!!) next week so I think I am going to leave it for now. Eh. Maybe I'll stock a few things. I just finished a really cute yoga themed changing pad and bib set while I had the sewing machine out for the curtains. I know that Shel is going to eventually take her snap press back, so I need to get going on snapped things if I want to carry any. SO many people are pregnant right now I need to make a batch of infant bibs for showers and things.

I have been dreaming of IKEA. I can't wait to go. I can't wait to get Henry a giant leaf for his bead. I can't wait to fondle the cheap textiles and buy new plastic flatwear (how a child loses 12 pieces of brightly colored plastic cutlery I will never know). I know I am going to spend way too much money there.

I'm tiiiiiiiiired.

1 Comments:

Blogger jaylam19 said...

baby RUTH?

i'm going to hell...

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home