Friday, February 24, 2006

It seems that I have fallen into a Twilight Zone world of no plan ever going smoothly ever again.

We went to Bed, Bath & Beyond with there would be so much cute stuff I wouldn't be able to contain my spending. There was nothing. No cute boy stuff at ALL. Don't the manufacturers of kids' gear know that there are boys out there? There are more boys than girls! And no one makes cool boys' stuff! Do they not see the niche just waiting to be filled? Gah. So I dragged Henry out of there screaming for the train, which is in the Barnes and Noble next door. Good thinking, mama. We then hit SUPERWalmart to look for sheets some more. Nope. Nothing. I did score some jungle print fabric I am going to make into curtains for him to replace the god awful tie dye that he picked out last time. The fabric and some mini Charleston Chews. That was our whole haul. We had about 45 minutes left until we were supposed to meet Kyle and his kids for lunch, so we headed over to that side of town (East Asheville) to see if we could find a mattress. After looking around for a while and being given the choice between an ultra cheap mattress that would have to be replaced in a year and probably give Henry scoliosis or a more expensive one that would hit a little hard but last a long time I chose the latter. "Better to invest in a good mattress", I told myself as I rubbed the spot on my back where our one year old mattress digs in every night. I paid for it and arranged to pick it up on our way home from lunch.

We headed off to Asiana, arrived perfectly on time and waited in the lobby looking at the "BIG shish!" in the tank. I heard my cell phone ring and my heart sank. Yup, it was Kyle. Apparently it has been a yearly tradition to go to the Asiana in WEST Asheville. Where we had just come from. On the complete opposite side of town. Oops. SO I decided to scap Asiana and just get Henry a quick lunch and get him home for a nap. Except that I had spent the last hour psyching Henry up for a special lunch with Daddy ("Lunch with Daddy? No, Daddy's at work!") so he wasn't letting it go that easy. I decided to just pick the mattress up when we came BACK over to that side of town to pick Kyle up from work and we headed over to West Asheville to meet Kyle and his kids. Whew! Finally we were all sitting-we being Kyle, Henry and I, 5 other staff members and 30 special ed. kids-relaxing and enjoying our supah Asian buffet (I know, buffets are gross, but this one can be good sometimes) when the fire alarm goes off. Oh, surely it is just a fluke test of the system, they'll turn it off in no time. Ummm...no. One of Kyle's kids came running in waving his hand and telling everyone that the kitchen was on fire and we had to get out. Nothing like screaming FIRE into a room of special ed. kids. Henry and I rushed out the front door so Kyle could take care of his kids, past the kitched, where a gas line had broken and fire was shooting out everywhere with the sprinkler system making a futile effort to put it out. They somehow managed to get all of the kids out onto the front sidewalk when the fire engines roared up. Henry got a kick out of that. The kids were doing great until an employee came out and told us they were closing down and we'd all have to go. They kids were less than thrilled and many explicatives were heard. I am thinking that the rest of Kyle's day is going to be...rough.

So now let's check the list.
Mattress has been purchased.
Drape fabric has been purchased.
Lunch has been had.
Laundry is in.

Now off to tackle the rest of that thing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home